Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Forever and Ever,Amen!


“As long as old men sit & talk about the weather
As long as old women sit & talk about old men
if you wonder how long I’ll be faithful
I’ll be happy to tell you again
I’m gonna love you forever & ever, forever & ever.”

Amen.

This is the chorus of Randy Travis’s song ‘Forever’, a song of devotion and faith that promises eternal love. I don’t exactly know the time of its composition but surely it is not a present day song, it cannot be, definitely not.
These are times of disillusionment, where hearts are forever in doubt and ready to accuse. It’s a time of ‘me’ and ‘I’. Nothing good comes of the goodness in your thoughts, action and desires. Instead, you are accused of making a mockery, a pomp and show. It’s a common day affair to be punished by your own kith and kin. You don’t need enemies from outside, they are within, at very close quarters and that’s the reason why you are forever entrapped.
So in a time like ours, togetherness is not forever. It’s the ‘goodbye’ that we welcome and cling on to with so much desperation. We build our own little islands, secluded and distanced from the rest and in our fear of being snubbed or ridiculed , we ‘blame’,‘blame’and‘blame’as Paul Simon aptly says in his song, ‘You’re the one.’ It has to be ‘you’ because 'I’ can never go wrong. Our ego and sense of pride is above all so that should not be affected in any way. The minute it is, we hit back with razor sharp utterances and do we care what impact those drastic words makes on the listener? Well, there’s no time for such considerations. As long as I can walk with my head held high in pride the rest of the world can come to a halt, nothing, nothing matters. I'm an island, remember!
We disregard the ‘us’ to assure a ‘forever goodbye'. There’s no wishing for future meeting because a farewell is a relief! It's like saying, 'Well now that's done: and I'm glad it's over.' (The Waste Land : T. S. Eliot)
We’ve got to be on the move, there’s no time to ponder or wonder. One has to just accept and carry on, that’s the way of the present world!

3 comments:

SAMIR SHARMA said...

I am a rock,
I am an island.
Ive built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
Its laughter and its loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Dont talk of love,
But Ive heard the words before;
Its sleeping in my memory.
I wont disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I am a Rock - Simon & Garfunkel

Susie said...

Life goes on...

Forgetfulness is a gift
The power to lift
The pain from your soul.
For pain is inevitable
Seemingly unforgettable
But just for a while.
But then life goes on
And with the pain gone
It is a joy to remember...

Random Musings said...

A Great Post and Great comments too but I'm going to go a little cheesy here...

There was a singer called Jon Secada (and the only reason i know of him or have heard his music was because his CD came free with another that i'd bought some years back)
Anyway he had a song called Forever and for some reason a line from that has stuck in my head all these years..

"FOREVER IS ONLY AS LONG AS IT LASTS"

We may say "I will love you forever" but if we break up after 2 months then "forever" was just 2 months...

Donno why but this has helped me make sense of FOREVER a lot more....

Just a Thought.

Vishal